Who is eligible to join ELTA-Rhine?
We are an organisation primarily of teachers and trainers working in or with the English language. However, membership is open to all and we particularly welcome professionals in related fields such as translators. Membership is open to both individuals and institutions.
How do I become a member of ELTA-Rhine?
To become a member, you must complete the online application form and the information will be sent electronically to our membership secretary. You then need to download a direct debit form which you should print, fill out and sign before sending it to our treasurer by normal post. As soon as the payment has been processed you will have access to all areas of the website. On joining you will be sent how to create a user profile in order to login the Community area.
How much does it cost to join ELTA-Rhine?
There is no joining fee. Annual membership costs 40 euros. If you join after 30th September, your membership is valid until 31st December of the following year.
What are the benefits of joining ELTA-Rhine?
- Free admission to our Workshops for professional development. workshops and presentations by international and outside speakers and to members' workshops, experience-swapping and social events. ELTA-Rhine also has a literature circle, a choir and occasional local meetings in smaller cities.
- A Blog, with information about English teaching in our area, in other parts of Germany and around the world, including an events calendar, book reviews, conference reports, work available, practical teaching tips, training opportunities, and special features on all manner of ELTA topics.
- A free email discussion list open to all members. Questions, requests and offers can be posted on the list for other members to read and reply.
- A Find a Trainer area for schools and companies looking for teachers and trainers who are working on a freelance basis. You can be listed here without cost.
- A community area with archived copies of the newsletter and other new features yet to be developed.
- A listing of training opportunities available for ELT teachers both in Germany and abroad.
- National and international information and networking facilities through an inter-ELTA network which links us with similar organisations in the other major German cities, and affiliation to IATEFL, the International Association of Teachers of English as Foreign Language, based in the UK.
Can I attend the events listed in your programme without being a member?
Yes, of course. We welcome guests at all our advertised meetings. We hope that having found out more about our organisation you will then want to join, but that is entirely up to you. You will notice that there is an attendance fee for meetings for non-members, but if you join at the door or even immediately after the event you will be refunded the fee.
Must I register in advance to attend an ELTA-Rhine event?
No one will be turned away from an event simply because they have not registered in advance. However, those who have registered in advance have priority in the case of limited seating and will be informed in advance in the case of a change of venue or cancellation.
I am looking for work teaching English. Can ELTA-Rhine help me?
We do not operate an open work exchange, but as a member you can put your details in our Find a trainer section and you will have access to the offers of freelance and (occasionally) full time teaching work on our email list. You will also have the opportunity to hear about work opportunities through informal networking. Some of our members are employers or directors of studies. If you are new to the area we are happy to provide a general overview of work prospects.
I am interested in coming to Germany to teach English. Can ELTA-Rhine help me with immigration and visa formalities?
We are not able to offer formal advice on these questions, which should be addressed to the relevant authorities in your home country or in Germany. However, many of our members have been through or have recent experience of such formalities and may be able to offer suggestions informally. Our Members' E-List is often used informally to ask such questions of other members.
ELTA-Rhine cannot help you with these issues, but we may be able to direct you to professionals who will be able provide professional advice (often in English) for a fee and to other sources of helpful information. As a member, you will be able to seek informal advice from other members who have experience with these issues via the Members' E-List
How can we advertise or products or services to the members of ELTA-Rhine?
We welcome advertisements as these help to defray the costs of occasional mailings and printed materials as well as the continued development of this website. This also allows us to offer high quality workshops. All advertisements are, however, published at the Committee's discretion.
For details please email: firstname.lastname@example.org